What is the book about?
The third edition of The Career Guide for Creative and Unconventional People was published in 2007 by Ten Speed Press. This paperback book of 230 pages retails for $14.95. You can buy it online at Amazon.com; you can also find it in many bookstores. If your local bookstore doesn't have it in stock, they will order it for you.
If you would like creative work to provide some of your income, then you have chosen a challenging goal: creative work tends to be more competitive, less secure and less well-paid than other kinds of work, at least at the beginning. But you probably already know that.
So, how can The Career Guide for Creative and Unconventional People help? In a nutshell, it:
- describes changes in the world of work that promise hope for creative people everywhere (ours is the best time in ages for those who want to do creative work!)
- takes an insightful look at the creative personality (which can lead to a feeling of not fitting in) and explains how being different can actually be an asset in the job search
- includes a variety of exercises (including diagnostic questions and checklists and downloadable forms) designed to guide your career exploration and job search
- illustrates eight different routes to employing your creativity (for example, starting your own business or getting a grant), using real life success stories
- provides time-tested and practical tips for persisting in your efforts so that you can achieve your goals: effective “how to” strategies will make your dreams come true
- concludes with an inspiring account of the creative adventure: accepting your talent, taking risks, calling on your courage, growing as a person and artist, and giving your gift
- profiles 270 different creative occupations from mainstream (architect) to quirky (impersonator) in an extensive appendix that features job descriptions, employers, and salaries